Wednesday, May 13, 2009

how and why

Years ago,when I was 13, I saw the movie, Home Alone. I really liked that movie..of course, there was only one line that stood out to me and I repeated it HOURLY..until my mom told me to "knock it off" and that it was "annoying".

Linnie McAllister "No, Kevin, you're what the French call les incompetents. "

Of course, I would change the name..usually to Kristen.. (maybe that's why we barely get along?)

I told my Grandma Claudia that I NEEDED an English To French language dictionary. She bought me one that afternoon. I started learning French words..and some sentences. I went to the library and bought books about France..about their castles. But, the one thing I had to watch a couple of evenings a week and on Saturday and Sunday morning on PBS? Julia Child and the Art of French Cooking.

Now, when I got to high school..all that went through my mind was..homework, how I hated high school, and boys. France? What was that? Oh it's a place?

Skip ahead to when I was laid off from the CAD software company Iworked for..back in 2000, I picked up cooking. I bought cookbooks left and right. New from bookstores..used from Used Book Sales. My mom gave me hers and my Grandma's old cookbooks. I cooked..and cooked and cooked. I loved trying new recipes. Tim loved that I cooked. Somewhere in between baking and sauteeing, I gave birth to a 9 lb 13 oz baby, named Mackenzie and an 8 lb. 9 oz baby named Tatum.

My family members and neighbors started telling me their favorites of the things I made.. I had finally found my niche.

Thirty pounds later..I absolutely love to cook. My favorites are sweets. I love having girlfriends over and cooking for them and then sitting around watching a movie or talking.

I'd love to attend a culinary school..but I don't know how I'll do that.. maybe when Tatum goes to school full time.

I've got books and books about Paris, France. Posters..cookbooks about french cooking... I even have a mold for a croquembouche. Someday, I hope to visit France..and Spain. Which reminds me, did anyone else see that PBS show with Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrow travelling through Spain? I'd like to see Tom Colicchio and myself travelling through France trying out various food.. How do I reach PBS to pitch my idea?

When I saw Before Sunrise years ago..I just fell in love with the idea of going to Europe and travelling. Tim wasn't into it and just took me around the U.S., which I'm not complaining.. Ok, I am. Before Sunset made me tear up. I dont know why. I have never seen a sequel I enjoyed so much. See these 2 movies. Back to back. Thanks.

I can not tell you how excited I am about Julie and Julia coming out this summer. I thought that book was so cute. Why didn't I think to write that? Dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment